Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Version of Barbara Kruger's Work


What do you see in your piece of art (describe it)?

    In this piece I see two girls gossiping to one another. They look very happy and excited about the news they are sharing, forgetting that they are probably hurting the persons feelings that are whispering to each other about. There is also a girl in the corner who is sad, to make the effect of the message stronger. The word "whisper" in "Where's the truth in your whispers?" is red to make it stand out more and to emphasize it and making it apart and making the message better.

What kind of message did you try to give in this piece of art?

     In this piece of art, I tried to send a message that hits close to home with a lot, the hurt that comes with gossiping, or being gossiped about. I used the sentence "Where's the truth in your whispers?", basically trying to say if you don't know 100% that the information is true or if you think that there is a slight chance that it would hurt the person, just don't say anything at all. Also, I thought that I would choose girls because gossiping, generally, is more apparent with girls and more common that with boys. Bottom line, gossip hurts people.

Do you like or dislike this piece of art?  Why?
     I actually really like this piece, for just a couple of reasons. I really like the picture of the girls and the expressions on their faces. I also really like the positioning of the words that the whisper is in between their mouths as though they were saying it. And I just really like the message I've sent with it, gossiping is one of the most common things talked about  with people and it hurts, so I thought that it was a really good idea for a piece critiquing humans. I just really like Barbara's style, which is another reason I enjoyed this assignment and why I like my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment